For more information, see this write-up of my experience on my blog.
My poor 4000m! One of its fans has failed. (Note orange fault indicator in upper-left corner.)
Starting the repair, I remove the 4000m from the rack and prepare to open it up.
First, I remove power supply 1.
Yuck! Look at all of that dust. Time for the vacuum cleaner!
Next, I remove the second side.
Next, on the front panel, I remove the master control module.
Then, I remove the first 8-port 10/100 Ethernet module.
This is the other side of the 8-port 10/100 Ethernet module.
I remove the next module.
And the next.
And so on...
With all of the modules removed, the backplane is exposed.
(I need to vacuum this out, too.)
Here is the power connector for the fan array.
I unplug it.
And then unscrew the fan array.
With the fan array removed, it's time to vacuum again. Wee!
Now, I install the shiny new fan array.
And screw it in place.
There, now it's ready to plug in.
The new connector has a fancy handle for easy gripping.
It plugs in easily.
I re-install the modules and run a quick smoke test.
So far so good: all LEDs light, and the module-by-module tests begin.
Success: all modules pass their self-tests!
The rejuvenated ProCurve 4000m, back in its home and serving packets to you.
Total downtime: 1 hour, 12 minutes.
Copyright © 2005 Thomas G. Moertel.
These images are licensed under a Creative Commons License.